Post office closure marks end of an era

July 28, 2017 by  

An old familiar sight for Print company in Chermside printing services Chermside and north Brisbane residents, the Everton Park post office has closed its doors for the last time.

Opened in 1899, the local icon’s closure on July 21 means regular customers will now have to go to neighbouring Stafford or Brookside Shopping Centre at Mitchelton to post letters, corporate gifts or anything else that requires postal services.

A member of the community who has been using the outlet for the past 35 years described the closure as a “huge blow to the community.”

Everton Park’s first Postmaster was John Tucker, who also took on the role of mail contractor and collected mail from what was then known as Raymonts Store, then the Alderley Post Office.

Tucker was district Postmaster until 1917. He died at age 81 in 1942, three years before his wife Jane. In 1899, Tucker operated out of a small wooden store on the current post office site.

Last year, the site, which forms part of the Everton Plaza, was purchased for $27.7m by Reds Group.

Redevelopment plans for the site include a precinct dedicated to casual dining but not a post office.

According to a spokesman for Australia Post, there are already nine Post Offices located within a 5km area so it planned to amalgamate Everton Park services with those at the Brookside Centre Post Office.

Everton MP Tim Mander is circulating a petition to have the original post office either reopened or relocated.

Comments