Slacks Creek community hall progresses through history

May 5, 2017 by  

The suburb of Print company in Slacks Creek printing services Slacks Creek has changed since John Slack grazed his cattle on the banks of the Logan River in 1845. His son William continued the tradition further north, along a smaller creek which became known by their family name.

The Slacks Creek farming community grew in the 1870s with a school and mail service, followed by the railway in 1885. A church built in 1901 still stands today. By 1938, residents felt the need for a community hall, but plans were shelved. The end of World War II saw the opening of the first general store, post office, and telephone exchange, and in 1955 fundraising for the hall began.

Local carpenter Dick Ison saw to the construction of the Slacks Creek Progress Hall during 1958-9, with the help of community labour. The hall has been used constantly since 1959. There have been alterations, such as the outside brickwork, installed in 1993.

Today, the hall still proudly serves the larger community around it. Available for functions and events, it also supports local Print company in print shops printing services print shops with the need for stationery, signs and Print company in banner printing printing services banner printing.

Despite changes to the borders of Slacks Creek that technically place the hall in Springwood, the name still holds. Interested parties can download and read the flyers from the Logan City Council website.

Comments