Window for grant applications to close

October 28, 2016 by  

The deadline for applications in the Living Heritage Grants programme is fast approaching.

Open to local councils and not-for-profit and community groups, including those in Tullamarine, Victoria the programme was launched in August by Minister for Planning Richard Wynne.

He said the grants were being made available to support the conservation and repair of 'at risk' heritage objects and places, including those listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.

The grants, he said, provided an ideal opportunity to gain funding for important heritage works.

Mr. Wynne said the $7 million four-year programme is being implemented in conjunction with a funding boost of $30 million to help protect and safeguard key heritage places throughout Victoria.

He said heritage places contribute to the cultural diversity and liveability of Victoria as well as providing an array of community, social and economic benefits, and grants such as these will help secure them for the future.

The subject of many tourism brochures and tours, heritage monuments, sites and buildings are attracting increased numbers of visitors and, according to latest statistics, figures reached in excess of 1.9 million people last year alone.

Mr. Wynne added that future grant programmes are proposed for 2017, 2018 and 2019 but applications for the current grants close on November 7, and that local communities are enriched by heritage and the sense of pride and identity it provides.